HRMS Change Request and Approval Process
The Office of Financial Management (OFM) State HR Division serves as the business owner for many IT systems that support the statewide human resources and labor relations functions. The Human Resource Management System (HRMS) is the largest of those systems and general government agencies use HRMS to process personnel actions, payroll, and capture/ distribute statewide payroll and associated financial data.
What is the HRMS change request process?
Technology advances and changing business needs necessitate updates to our enterprise system. To manage these changes, the HRMS Priorities Review Team was formed. This team includes representatives from OFM and Washington Technology Solutions (WaTech) and their goal is to manage resources while continuously improving and addressing agency and enterprise business needs.
The HRMS Priorities Review Team meets regularly to discuss and prioritize incoming change requests. Before a request is approved, the team assesses the request using the following criteria:
- Are changes statutorily or legislatively mandated?
- Do changes support the Governor’s priorities or initiatives?
- Will changes reduce risk and/or liability for the state in human resource and payroll matters?
- Will changes result in measurable enterprise efficiency?
- Do changes align with strategic direction for other relevant applications and enterprise data strategies?
Once a change request is approved, it is prioritized based on impact and available resources. Changes are then scheduled for a release date, along with other HRMS maintenance and operations updates. In instances where a request is not approved, the requestor will be notified.
How do I submit an HRMS change request?
To ensure an informed review and assessment, be clear and informative in your change request. In addition to addressing any of the assessment criteria listed above, include the following:
- What is the business question you’re trying to answer or what is the issue you’re trying to solve?
- What are the current impacts of the issue to your business? Example: “This issue results in an additional [X] number of hours processing payroll each pay period” or “This issue results in non-compliance with CBA”.
- How will this change benefit your agency or the enterprise as a whole?
- Do you currently have a workaround?
Once this analysis is complete, send completed HRMS change requests to: Support@WaTech.wa.gov