Reversing Payroll - Request a Warrant Cancellation

 View Options:              Print
Procedure Updated: 

Use this procedure to complete the necessary actions for canceling a payroll warrant issued in error.

  1. Step 1

    Cancel the warrant through the Agency Financial Reporting System (AFRS)

  2. Step 2

    Your agency must send a Journal Voucher to the Office of the State Treasurer along with:

    • Once the Office of the State Treasurer receives the JV and one of the required attachments, they will complete the Warrant Cancellation process.

      The Office of the State Treasurer will send you one of the following:

      • Valid Cancelled Warrant Report - indicating the cancellation is complete; or
      • Cancellation Exception Report - indicating there was a problem with the agency’s entry of the warrant in AFRS.

      For full detail of these requests, please refer to the Office of the State Treasurer’s Cancellation memo.

    • The warrant cancellation JV should credit the Agency Payroll Revolving Account (035), General Ledger 5124. The JV must be entered into AFRS before moving forward with the Reversing Payroll - Reverse Payroll Using Off-Cycle Workbench procedure. Refer to Transfer JV Information for more information on processing JVs.

    • If a warrant is being reissued because it was lost, stolen, or destroyed, do not take any action in HRMS. These reissues are only dealing with net pay and do not affect payroll costs or the IRS Form W-2.